We’ve been entertaining! It was J’s birthday last week and it was lovely to have family over for dinner yesterday. This is something we could never have done in the old flat — we didn’t have space for a dining table let alone room for more than a couple of visitors.
I have, for a long time, been wanting to learn a little more about sewing. I’m keen to have a go at bias binding and quilting but with very little time before people arrived I wanted to make some cheery placemats for yesterday’s dinner. I was determined not to pay for something which I probably wouldn’t have liked so much when I knew I could make something if I tried!
The idea was to use some kind of batting or interfacing to add strength/thickness, and bias binding to give them a nice finish, but given the time constraints and my lack of sewing skills, these cut-all-the-corners placemats were born.
And I must say, I’m really pleased with them! I used some lovely Amy butler fabrics I had stashed away, already washed and ironed for shrinkage. The backs were made from some plain, thicker cotton, but it ran out after making three mats – so, the rest use offcuts patched together with some stripy cotton print.
I think it works well and means that they’re all a little bit different, which is quite fun.