h1

First finished object of 2011

January 6, 2011

Hello and hope you’re all well and happy this… gloomy grey Thursday. Yes — Thursday! — we’ve been back at work almost a week already. Four-day weeks for the win!

In my last post I mentioned that I’d got something I could share — and here it is, pictured above — my first finished object of 2011! This is, of course, a little jacket for our forthcoming arrival, and as I’m sure you can guess from the picture, we’ve found out that we’ve got a blue bump — baby is expected to be a little man!

The jacket was made with some yarn I’ve had lying around in my stash for what must be nearly ten years. It was bought in a previous and rather unsuccessful attempt to teach myself to knit, along with the pattern I used to make it. The yarn is “Snuggly Domino”, made by Sirdar. It isn’t made any more, as far as I know, and while it isn’t really something I would choose these days, it’s made a quite cute little jumper, don’t you think? I’m currently making a little hat to go with it, to use up the left-over yarn. The buttons were salvaged from an old worn-out blouse so all in all it was a very cost-effective knitting project.

Another thing I’ve made recently but I forgot to share at the time —

Curtains for the baby’s room! They weren’t made completely from scratch but I couldn’t find any curtains that I thought were just right and still within my budget. They were all either too cutesy, too expensive, sold out, or featured TV or film characters — which I didn’t want at all. Then I found these for sale in Ikea — cheap and very cheerful, but tie-tops and too thin for the nursery window as there are street lamps along the road outside. So I dug out and dusted down my trusty sewing machine (it doesn’t get as much use as I’d like), cleared the dining table, bought some lining fabric and curtain tape and set about converting them. I used this tutorial for making lined curtains, and I must say, I’m rather pleased with how they’ve turned out! I’m thinking about using the colourful ties that I had to cut off the tops to make some tie-backs for them. I’m not quite sure how yet, but I’m sure I’ll figure something out!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: